Unruly has released a report listing the top 20 most-shared ads of 2013, although it might feel slightly early to crown a winner. Nevertheless, Dove’s 3-minute “Real Beauty Sketches” takes the top honors for the study period (January 1 through November 18), generating 4.24 million social shares since its April launch. It’s also now the most viewed online video ad ever, per Unruly’s Viral Video Chart. The top 10 ads this year – which have generated almost 29 million shares – have garnered about 50% more shares than the top 10 ads from last year.
It’s worth noting that last year’s top 10 originally featured Invisible Children’s “Kony 2012,” which was shared a whopping 10.1 million times between its launch on March 5 and the end of the reporting period on November 21. Unruly says it has since removed the video as publishers and advertisers viewed it more as a documentary than an ad.
Without further ado, the ads taking up the top positions this year:
- “Real Beauty Sketches” (Dove; 4.24 million shares);
- “Hump Day” (GEICO; 4.03 million);
- “Baby & Me” (Evian; 3.34 million);
- “Ship My Pants” (Kmart; 3.05 million);
- “Yalin” (Cornetto; 2.91 million);
- “Brotherhood” (Budweiser; 2.72 million);
- “Test Drive” (Pepsi Max; 2.69 million);
- “Telekinetic Coffee Shop Surprise” (MCM/Carrie; 2.17 million);
- “Farmer” [Ram Trucks (Chrysler); 1.88 million); and
- “The Epic Split feat. Van Damme” (Volvo; 1.82 million).
Some of the names on that list have been mentioned in other research: Kmart’s “Ship My Pants” was ranked the 6th-funniest ad of the year according to an Ace Metrix survey, while Ace Metrix also scored Budweiser’s “Brotherhood” as the most effective Super Bowl spot.