The Voice of Online Marketing | MEDIA KIT | NEWS TIPS
The latest practical news and developments at the intersection of search, email,
social media, mobile marketing, web analytics, online advertising, ecommerce and more.
Marketing News on Twitter Interactive marketing RSS newsfeed
Advertisement
Advertisement
MARKETING JOBS

Marketing Execs: Most Web Campaigns Don't Launch on Time


Tack a few more takes
onto that strip

Though 59 percent of seniors marketers acknowledge their website is "critical" to their global brand and marketing strategy, nearly 70 percent of website-based marketing campaigns do not get launched on time, leading to a potential loss of new business leads and eroded customer satisfaction, according to a new survey.

A combination of lengthy internal approval processes, IT department backlogs, and the type of web content management system (web CMS) used makes getting content approved and published "painfully slow" or "bumpy" at best.

Just 17 percent of those surveyed said the process of updating their websites is "quick and easy," the study found, writes MarketingCharts.

The survey of 120 senior marketers in the US was conducted by PK Data on behalf of web CMS solutions provider SDL Tridion.

A majority of the marketers, 76 percent, change website content at least once a week — and nearly 42 percent say daily — but less than one-third (32 percent) say website publishing/updating deadlines are regularly met.

When asked which departments are most involved in managing their website, 46 percent of respondents said marketing was most involved, and 39 percent said IT was most involved.

sdl-tridion-departments-involved-in-managing-website-updates.jpg

Overly complicated internal approval processes and dissatisfaction with web CMS systems, whether software or manual, were noted as the reasons behind delays by 52 percent of respondents.

sdl-tridion-top-reasons-for-website-update-delays.jpg

And 48 percent attributed delays to overloaded IT departments.

This suggests IT is bogged down with web content requests that could be easily handled by marketing and communications departments, SDL Tridion said.

As for the impact of such delays:

  • 54 percent said the delays have a negative impact on new business inquiries.
  • 50 percent said they impact customer satisfaction.
  • 35 percent said they impact web marketing budgets.
  • 30 percent said they impact brand image.
  • 20 percent said they impact employee satisfaction.

"As the web picks up speed daily, there are internal forces at work that are slowing it down," said Erik Aeyelts Averink, president, Products & Solutions, SDL Tridion.

"This can have a huge impact on a company's ability to compete globally and meet business goals. These days, a customer who can't find what they need, or […] has a frustrating experience on your website, can easily go elsewhere."

About the survey: PK Data completed the survey of 120 senior marketing decision makers in the consumer products, electronics/telecommunications, healthcare, financial services, and automotive industries.

70 percent of the respondents work at companies with annual sales ranging from $250 million to more than $1 billion, and annual sales for the remaining 30 percent range from $50 million to $250 million.

Search

Related Topics

Advertisement
Related stories:

Subscribe to MarketingVOX|News

Latest interactive marketing news Latest media planning news & facts Latest marketing data & research