Jeeves gets company
- Digital agency Studiocom launched an in-house division to handle mobile marketing planning for clients.
- Mobile ad network operator Ad Infuse has opened a New York office to be closer to the ad industry. Its home office is in San Francisco.
Days of Our MicroHoo:
- Microsoft is ramping up in pursuit of Yahoo with a series of behind-the-scenes moves that may include its offer going up to $31 million, all cash.
- But Yahoo is still in talks with Time Warner to get that company to step in as a bidder.
- The sturm and drang surrounding the Microsoft pursuit of Yahoo could signal the beginning of a period where online operators try to package and sell some of their most valuable assets to stay afloat and remain profitable.
- Ad-supported phone service operator Jangl launched its Mobile Media Initiative to brings the service to VOIP users.
Online Video and Content:
- Federated Media is said to be looking for a second round of financing of $20 million to $30 million.
- Finance site Mint got $12.1 million in new investor money.
- Rutube, a Russian online video community, was purchased by Gazprom-Media, a major Russian media holding firm, at a rate that values the site at $15 million.
- Mochila has partnered with Broadcast Interactive Media (BIM) to distribute local news content across radio and TV stations nationwide.
- Ziff Davis says declining ad revenue and subscriber numbers led to its decision to file for bankruptcy. The company hopes to exit Chapter 11 this summer.
- The Financial Times will give away free subscriptions to FT.com to college students through a Facebook application.
- Hitwise shows traffic to craigslist continues to grow, as do visits to newspaper websites.
- But that's not helping Scipps, which reported a substantial drop in revenue, including from advertising.
- A group of high powered business women have launched Wowowow.com, a site geared to older women looking to connect and converse with others.
- A fair amount of offerings Microsoft showed off at TechFest revolve around social networking, signaling a strong focus in that area at the company.