Skype + Nokia = 4ever
Ad Networks and Analytics:
- The FTC is finalizing a set of guidelines for behavioral advertising.
- Betawave, formerly known as GoFish, is launching an ad-supported video platform. Dubbed Betawave TV, it will include family-friendly content like youth news, sports, special events, celebrity interviews, fashion, health and animation.
- Collective Media is availing its AMP technologies to the IDG TechNetwork.
- Spot Runner is working on a digital ad-buying platform called Project Malibu. It will launch this summer.
- Keystream Corp. is partnering with RedOrbit to add Flash ads into the latter's science videos. SmartAd technology, which scans blank spaces in videos and inserts ads in them, will be used.
Agencies and Marketing Execs:
- Theresa LaMontagne is now SVP-Data Analytics/Insights at Carat.
- Marketing/PR firm Martopia added Aaron Adams to its team as Marketing Copywriter.
- Mojiva now enables advertisers to add one-click purchasing capabilities to their mobile ads — the fruit of a partnership with Billing Revolution.
- Baron Conway joins Schematic as SVP-Client Services in Los Angeles.
- Mobile ad network mKhoj, which serves markets in Asia and Africa, hired Anne Frisbie to head its North America department. Frisbie formerly served as VP-Category/Sales Intelligence at Yahoo.
- Russia's Subscribe.ru launched Subscribe.Direct, a pay-per-click contextual ad platform for email.
- Vontoo a recorded-voice marketing provider, raised $2 million in a funding round led by EDF Ventures. The company says a properly-implemented voice marketing campaign can wipe 80-90% off a company's traditional marketing expense.
- Sage Communications has secured a Google Grant for the National Family Caregivers Association. The financing will be used to help the NFCA raise awareness about its services via Adwords.
- Apple now enables filesharing on MobileMe, a hosted service that lets subscribers access elements of their desktops from remote locations.
Campaigns of Note:
- Jinny has launched a mobile marketing and ad service, designed to interface directly with agencies.
- Skype inked a deal to integrate its functionality into certain Nokia handhelds, including the N97.
- Velti has partnered with Blyk to launch a messaging-based mobile content platform. The pair will target 16-24-year-olds.
- The GSM Association, which represents 750 mobile providers, has worked with 3, Orange, T-Mobile, Telefonica and Vodafone to develop mobile ad metrics. The metrics will measure users' mobile browsing behavior and ideally form the basis of a unified platform that enables advertisers to deploy mobile campaigns on a global scale.
- Vodafone unveiled a new touchscreen phone, the HTC Magic, at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. It will run on Google Android technology and feature a 3.2 mp camera, wifi capabilities and GPS. There is no keyboard.
- The Wall Street Journal argues that the display ad industry's ability to print "nearly limitless amounts of their main currency" will ultimately diminish their value.